This is an Advanced Design Studio by Prof. Peter W. Ferretto, connected to the Masters in Architecture program at CUHK.

The aim of the Studio is to rethink the meaning of rural villages in Hong Kong and make a series of propositional projects that could suggest different future rather than see this rich heritage disappear and forgotten.

1st Semester Final Review
3 December 2020

1st Progress Review

22 October 2020

︎ More Details

︎ Condition_Lab
︎ Facebook
︎ Instagram

01 Spatial Study

Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail
The Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail inaugurated on 4 December 1999 with 2.6 km long connected different built heritage sites which is the secondheritage trail established in the New Territories by the government.

Name Origin
The name was derived from the nearby mountain Lung Yeuk Ling with the legend of “leaping dragon” that the dragon appeared in the mountain.The site is commonly called Lung Ku Tau and is also named Lung Ling(“dragon mountain”).

Tang Clan
Song dynasty (960 - 1279): The princess was married to Tang. Their son then moved to Lung Yeuk Tau at the end of the Yuan dynasty (1279 -1368). Due to the population growth of Tang Clan, they built the houses nearby along the river and established as “Five Wais and Six Tsuens” ina few hundred years. “Five Wais (walled villages)” are Lo Wai, Ma Wat Wai, Wing Ning Wai,Tung Kok Wai (also known as Ling Kok Wai) and San Wai (also calledKun Lung Wai). The “Six Tsuens (villages)” are Ma Wat Tsuen, Wing Ning Tsuen (also called Tai Tang), Tsz Tong Tsuen, San Uk Tsuen, Siu Hang Tsuen and KunLung Tsuen.

There are several traditional Chinese buildings and structures such as Tin Hau Temple and Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall. It preserved the lifestyleand history of Tang Clan.
The Tangs in Lung Yuek Tau is still retain the traditional village customs and culture, including the Tin Hau Festival, new-born boys with lanternlighting ceremony, an ancestral worship ceremony and vegetarian feast and the Tai Ping Ching Chiu festival.

Shrines of the Earth God
It built at the entrance of the village. It can bless for the harvest of
agricultural products and the good weather. The villagers believe that the gods located at the entrance can protect the village and ensure the safety. There are also big trees planted next to some old altars used to block evil spirits.

Stone table to ward off evil spirits
People erected the stone tablets engraved with the characters “Tai Shan Shek Kam Dong” at environmentally unfavourable places. They also erected the stone tablets engraved with the characters “lam mo au li to fat” (Namo Amitabha, in homage to Buddha) at the location of traffic accidents to block the evil spirits and alert the drivers.


Running adjacent to Lung Yeuk Tau is the Ng Tung River. Throughout time, the river has been a key protagonist in the birth of surrounding urban territories such as Fanling and Sheung Shui.

The surroundings of Lung Yeuk Tau was filled with farmlands and agriculture, providing crops for villagers, locals in the area. Meandering of the riverallowed for sufficient wetlands for high quality crops whilst also providing an ideal haven for various animals.

Due to the constant floods occuring during the wet eason, a riverbarrier was constructed, preventing damage to villages. However, afterthe completion of river training works, water supplied by the river was no longer sufficient to support farming. As farmland shrunk, the rise of residential buildings and urbanism took over, seeing the creation of Fanling and Sheung Shui.

︎T3 Lung Yeuk Tau   
︎02 Material Study

︎︎︎ Territories